Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Peter's Webinar

I sat in on Peter Nachtwey's Webinar on PID tuning today. This was a great experience. Peter was very informative, and I was able to absorb some information which will be useful to me in the near future. Peter had a live system on a web cam that he would tune and demostrate live. He walked through each of the tuning parameters of a PID loop and demostrated graphically the impact that each has. It was very cool, and my group really got a kick out of it

One other bonus is that members of PLCs.net were present and sharing knowledge in a whole new way. Ron and Peter were both in the conference, and it was fun for me to finally have a live conversation with both of them.

I think these Webinars would be a great way for members of PLCs.net to share information. From a career development standpoint joining the conference (or hosting one) is a way to refine one's skill set. From a business development standpoint, it's great exposure to show off your skills a bit. Peter made no bones about this being a business tool for him, but the presentation was NOT a pitch. It was informative and impressive.

In the future, I would love to see more PLCs.net members host a Webinar. I'm already thinking about what type of demonstration I could put together. If you're interested in showing off your skills, email or PM me on the forum (akreel). If there is interest in doing these web demonstrations on a regular basis, I'm willing and able to coordinate them until the idea takes on a life of its own.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have each member of your board provide/develop one Webinar event each year. Then have them coordinate this group with other webinars that the get links to (share the link) through out the year. Use this combined distribution list to advertise your webinar.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

You're starting to sound like a blogger!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been almost a month since the webinar. I don't think it was as effective as I would like. Although Aaron and company seemed to like it I heard nothing from Ron Doran. A major problem was getting the people on-line at the same time. Another problem we anticipate is keeping the people on-line through other distractions. Finally, it is a waste of time because the effort must be repeated for each presentation. What I am looking into is recording the presentations or just capturing the my screen and audio and editing the files into a streaming video that can be viewed anytime and many times. The only problem with this is that it will not be interactive and it will take much more effort to make a quality video. Look for a streaming video attempt.

A video can be viewed and reviewed over and over again until all the points are understood. I can also make each video shorter so the material can be digested in smaller doses.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home